Dr. Raque regularly writes on topics related to psychology, psychotherapy, and related issues. Please visit regularly to read his shared insights.
- What Makes a Good MarriageMarriage has been around as long as human existence. But like most cultural traditions, change is inevitable. For many centuries the primary reason for marriage was to produce offspring for help with the land. Today, there continues to be many differences between cultures as to how marriage is viewed. In many Eastern cultures marriages continue […] Read More
- OptimismI would rather see a glass as half-full rather than half-empty. There is a growing body of research that supports optimism as having medicinal value. Those who believe they are going to get better are more likely to get better quicker than those who are negative about their chances. I am not saying there is […] Read More
- Unstick Your LifeWe are getting close to that time of year that everyone begins thinking about New Year’s resolutions. Probably like most of you I have made many, kept some but failed to keep others. I remember over thirty years ago after I had stopped playing basketball and realized I needed to begin exercising on my own, […] Read More
- Mindfulness Meditation Can Improve Your Health and Soothe PainIf you read my most recent article it was about slowing down, or more familiar phrase, to “stop and smell the roses”. Exercise and nutrition can help and here is one more tool to have at your disposal that can help to improve your mental and physical health, meditation. There are many ways to meditate. […] Read More
- Handling Bad MemoriesSeveral years ago around this time of year, one of my patients was talking about the upcoming holidays. We began talking about early memories. She recalled one of her early bad memories. When she was 6 years old, she had her heart set on Santa bringing her a special gift. While she said she appreciated […] Read More
- Gut FeelingsA good sense of direction particularly when driving is a genetic weakness in my family. So, when I am driving, instead of listening to my inner voice that tells me I should go one way, I rationalize and go the other way, which usually is the wrong way. Then I get frustrated with myself and […] Read More
- Ingredients for SuccessRecent research has suggested that while practice does not create talent, without practice no matter what talent a person has, the talent will not develop. There are many examples of this concept. Michael Jordan, whom many consider the greatest basketball player ever to play the game, was cut from his high school team. Sports fans […] Read More